Super Bowl Food Doesn’t Exist

Larry laments that the Super Bowl doesn’t have any purpose-made novelty foods, like the rest of American holidays. That’s right, we’re calling it a holiday. Larry is also unimpressed by too many replays or the fact that the Harbaugh brothers are brothers. We have one of the best Poetry Corner segments so far.

Quote of the week: “Get your own show.”

Audio Engineer: Dr. Chris Laxamana

Bookmark/FavoritesShare

14 Responses to “Super Bowl Food Doesn’t Exist”

1. Hugh
    2013/02/06 at 5:34 am #

Is that an Amazon in the painting behind you Larry?
    … But Seriously, great episode Larry.

Our family got a new hamper recently, and nobody puts anything in there!

2. Brendan
    2013/02/06 at 2:03 pm #

Gunga Din is a great poem. I used to make my dad read that to me over and over again when I was a little kid. It was great to hear it again from you. And I never even knew that there was a movie! I’ll have to look for that. Thanks.

• Wayne Philips
      2013/02/07 at 12:17 pm #

When I was in the Marine Corps a Gunga Din was a huge water tank on a trailer. I used to love saying Gunga Din with a deep boomnig voice. It just made me and my Jarhead friends laugh.

3. Matt
    2013/02/06 at 9:17 pm #

In case you want to check it out, Jim Croce did a great musical adaptation of “Gunga Din”. Love your show.

4. Wayne Philips
    2013/02/07 at 10:55 am #

FYI, humans are not evolved from monkeys. We have a common ancestor with Great Apes. Monkeys have tails. The human monkey thing is just a misconception.

• Charles Darwin
      2013/02/12 at 2:10 am #

I was shaking my head during that whole monologue. I know your a comic Larry and want to find the funny things in life, but that was incredibly dumb.

5. Andy90
    2013/02/07 at 12:57 pm #

First time I’ve heard Gunga Din – nicely done, Larry – especially with the Sarf Lunnon* accent!

*South London, as pronounced by South Londoners.

6. DubipR
    2013/02/08 at 8:30 am #

Another great episode, Larry.

I too am a fan of Gunga Din, the poem and the film. The stories you tell bring a smile to my face at work.

-R

7. stnuntrnd
    2013/02/08 at 11:20 am #

After listening to your appearances on the ACS podcast, it’s clear that Adam loves you as a comic and a mensch, so you are probably the only person who can change Adam’s mind about that “ungettable” joke on the back cover of his NTBM book. After each Joke of the Week on the TWWLM podcast, you explain why it is funny. Next time you’re on the ACS podcast, please show Adam why the back cover joke is NOT funny. (reference to NTBM joke on ACS podcast, Friday 2/8/13, min 42:20-48:30)
    Thanks.

8. Chris Middlebrook
    2013/02/08 at 3:17 pm #

As always Larry, your stories are always chock full of many years’ worth of observations and experiences. It’s what makes your show so engaging.
    I really enjoy the poetry segment, and I am glad that you present it in a way that tells everyone out there that you don’t need to be a Yale graduate wearing a tweed coat to enjoy and understand it.
    Kipling is one of my favorite authors, and I hope you share more of his work on the show.

Thank you and the crew, it’s great to have you back!

9. STL Tom
    2013/02/11 at 8:23 am #

Loved the Gunga Din reading — one of my favorites! In the same British soldier vain, one of my favorite poems is “Dulce Et Decorum Est.”

An related to your comments — YES! We must begin the SB traditional food or drink. As the Mint Julep is to the Kentucky Derby, I introduce the “Bloody Super Bowl.” Alright — this drink has its variations all over the place. Budweiser packages it as the Chillada and I have heard of it referred to as the Red Eye or Red Beer or Redneck Bloody Mary. My take on it would be 12 oz of an American Lager of Choice, with a 2 oz. of Spicey V8, 2 green olives and few dashes of Louisiana Hot Sauce served in large beer stein of your choice (maybe with your favorite team on the glass or stein or the team that you hate — pretending to drink the blood of the vanquished). Why is this a good SB drink to have? It sounds violent and it gives a little filler to a beer to slow your roll for the impending end of the night and next day of work. Plus — there is something to the V8 that does a hangover good.

P.S. Maybe raise the Bloody Super Bowl with a toast to the loser:
    May the devil make a ladder of your backbone
    While he is picking apples in the garden of Hell.

10. JohnyVile
    2013/02/14 at 4:25 pm #

Wait, there was a meeting and the Upland chapter missed it?!? DAAAAMN it!

11. Randy O'Dell
    2013/02/21 at 10:52 am #

I am very glad you are back in the saddle again. WOO HOO
    I sure miss your razor updates as well. I can really relate to them. As bill Cosby once said “All i wanted was a clean shave. Not a self sacrifice”. WElcome Back Larry!!

12. Jon
    2013/03/10 at 11:15 pm #

Hi Larry,

Just quick note to say thanks for the Poetry Corner and for your reading of Gunga Din. My Dad often says “You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din”, but I never looked into where it came from.

Love the poem, love having you back, and hope you’re doing just fine.

Cheers,