Drunken Ballpark Fistfights

Drunken Ballpark Fistfights

The sound of fist on face makes Larry wax nostalgic for lazy summer days at the ballpark. Or to put it another way, “Hey, Fatso!”

Play

Show Summary

And then wax nostalgic for this (ahem) encore presentation of one of our favorite episodes from the very early days of TWLLM. The heady days when we didn’t have our “sea legs” yet, didn’t have good mics and Larry didn’t know how to pronounce Chris’ last name. How far we’ve come! Larry can now recite his own website on command!

Yes, public outcry for a rebroadcast of this episode was too huge to ignore any longer! On a completely unrelated matter, we are all on vacation. But stay tuned, as next week will be our one year anniversary here at TWWLM! We couldn’t have done it without YOU!

Get your very own Larry Miller Drinking Society card by sending a stamped self-addressed envelope to:

Larry Miller Drinking Society
    c/o ACE Broadcasting
    10061 Riverside Dr. #276
    Toluca Lake, CA 91602 USA

Producer: Jeff Fox
Audio Engineer: Chris Laxamana
Show Summary: Matt Fondiler
Web Engineer: Sandy Ganz

Tags: , ,

30 Responses to “Drunken Ballpark Fistfights”

1. The Offender
    2011/08/31 at 12:09 pm #

I hope Larry gets him hamper. The little things can make life great or horrid.

2. Alan Capolla
    2011/08/31 at 12:14 pm #

Necessary Roughness! Coach Genero, love it when Larry says that in the movie.

3. Harold Ehnhuus
    2011/08/31 at 4:32 pm #

Now I am a bit of an audio geek, but the thing that jarred me was the difference in sound quality compared to the more recent episodes. And I am not saying Chris was bad in the early shows…but now in comparison the new shows sound so much better, From week to week I never noticed any change (except for the “remote from canada” episode), but you can really hear now how Chris has tweaked the show over the year to make it sound so good now. Kudos to you Chris!!!

2011/09/01 at 12:58 pm #

All of the hardware has been improved so vastly in the last year. We noticed the difference as much as anyone! And we’re always working to make it better. Glad you’re enjoying it!

4. Doug Meyer
    2011/08/31 at 6:38 pm #

I agree with Harold. You sounded like you were talking in a Pringles can.

5. Larissa Juarez
    2011/08/31 at 8:47 pm #

Is it just me or was this week’s show a repeat? I swear I heard this one before. I remember, in particular, the ‘fatso’ comment and the story of the baseball game in Iowa… Maybe it was uploaded by mistake….????

• Jordan Thomas
      2011/09/01 at 12:39 am #

It is. If you read the description, you’ll see that it is an encore presentation of one of their favorite episodes.

• JessMan
        2011/09/01 at 5:42 am #

that’s why the sound quality was, let’s say, sub-par

6. SteveP
    2011/08/31 at 11:17 pm #

If you read the first sentence of the description, it’s perfectly clear this is a repeat; but it’s one of the best.

7. Matt
    2011/09/01 at 5:01 am #

Instead of saying people were demanding this be played again (when they could have just gone back and listened to it) How about just saying Larry is on vacation this week so we had nothing to upload besides this repeat show. A little honesty would be much appreciated, we don’t need the bullshit story

• Brian Daub
      2011/09/01 at 9:27 am #

My guess is someone was never told ‘no’ as a child.

Come on, Matt, it says right in the description that they are on vacation. Who cares if it’s a repodcast episode. Who cares if it’s a simple story. Every week for a whole year Larry and his merry men have given us a podcast that, in my opinion, has entertained us and made me forget about work for at leat 40 minutes.

I wouldn’t have said anything but when you started using vulgar terms, even though Mr. Miller keeps clear of them (although I am sure he’s heard them all!), you stired up something in me to respond.

2011/09/01 at 1:00 pm #

I thought the “encore presentation” was pretty obviously a tongue-in-cheek gag. Especially since the episode description says we’re on vacation. Anyone agree?

• Brian Daub
        2011/09/01 at 1:48 pm #

With all the old time radio references, will there ever be a LMDS decoder ring? Think about it; every week you can give all a code and we can sit someplace in private and figure out what it says.

Even if it is a crummy commercial!

2011/09/01 at 5:18 pm #

We have all kinds of merch ideas i n the works, but it’s all slow-going, of course.

8. Doug Meyer
    2011/09/01 at 12:24 pm #

God I’m such an idiot…if I’d just read it and not trusted someone named Harold. sigh

• Harold Ehnhuus
      2011/09/01 at 3:49 pm #

I thought it was obvious it was a repeat. I was just stating how much the sound has improved over the year. Sorry if I mislead anyone it wasn’t intentional…

9. Paul
    2011/09/01 at 12:25 pm #

Aw… C’mon Larry tell the truth. We all know you have a hangover from last night after celebrating the 1/2 point you got on “The Hypothetical Road Trip”

2011/09/01 at 1:09 pm #

Nailed it!

• Drekmore
      2011/09/02 at 7:01 am #

This made me LOL Paul! 1/2 point! Hee hee!

10. PJ
    2011/09/03 at 7:31 am #

Hey how long did it take you guys to get your LMDS cards in the mail? I’ve been waiting 2 months and I wonder if I need to send another SASE.

2011/09/06 at 3:23 pm #

BIG, BIG batch of them about to get mailed out.

• PJ
        2011/09/07 at 5:26 pm #

Awesome! Thank you very much. Keep up the great work with the show. Also, I think Larry needs to come on Bob and Tom when he comes to South Bend in a few weeks. I know he’s an old friend of the show, and I’d love to hear him on it.

11. MB
    2011/09/04 at 7:26 am #

Great show Larry. Best one yet, in my opinion! I also like how you streamlined the intro and the outro.

12. Brian
    2011/09/05 at 10:04 am #

Keep the format. Don’t switch to interviews. There is no other podcast like this one, and there’s no reason to go and imitate what is already out there.

13. Jim
    2011/09/05 at 9:25 pm #

Thank you for another great show Larry!

14. Matt
    2011/09/09 at 11:40 am #

Wow… it is weird how Larry really makes me step back appreciate the small things in life and stop worrying about the BS that really doesn’t matter in the end. He really has that affect on me.

15. Kyle B
    2011/09/10 at 7:43 pm #

I love this episode so much. I actually have it already saved on my iPod and computer and have listened to it several times before. It’s such a wonderful act of story telling that really captures the feelings of what a ball game is really about. This is the episode that made me a committed Larry Miller fan, and my liver will never forgive you for it.

Your man in California, or at least one of them, and other than yourself,
    -Kyle

16. Kobus Faber
    2011/09/14 at 3:35 am #

I am in South Africa, and I love your podcast. This episode was fantastic. Even though we don’t have Baseball in this country, I loved your story, and it brought a tear to my eye.

Thank you so much.

17. David Bornstein
    2011/09/17 at 11:07 am #

I just, fives seconds ago, finished listening to your favorite ballgame story. I got a chill and am welled up a little. Fantastic story, Buddy.

David