Larry Miller Calls Out Over The Internet

Listeners all over the world are encouraged to join in a bent elbow salute and enroll in the Larry Miller Drinking Society. Specifically, Larry reaches out to listeners in Iceland, Guam and other far-flung locales to unite. Well, basically to have an excuse to hoist a few.

Send an email to This Week With Larry Miller by clicking me!

Bookmark/FavoritesShare

Tags: , ,

57 Responses to “Larry Miller Calls Out Over The Internet”

1. IcePrick
    2010/10/06 at 4:41 am #

Greetings from Iceland, I just needed an excuse to get drunk at lunch time. Thank you thank you thank you Larry. oh and I agree Wholeheartedly

• DDT
      2010/10/08 at 8:02 am #

What would “I agree wholeheartedly” be in Icelandic? That could be a new hobby for Larry: collecting foreign language versions of it.

2. Matt in NH
    2010/10/06 at 4:45 am #

Wow, Larry has that pirate voice nailed!

3. DDT
    2010/10/06 at 6:17 am #

Love the pic: that’s about my level of technical understanding as well

4. nater
    2010/10/06 at 6:24 am #

That’s funny about Germany having one fewer listener than Isreal, but Isreal having three fewer than Mexico is hilarious!
    Keep it up Larry

5. slimedog
    2010/10/06 at 6:43 am #

Thx Larry – it was fun!

6. GrapeApe
    2010/10/06 at 8:42 am #

keep up the great work oh protector of my drinking nightly drinktime!

7. Erina
    2010/10/06 at 9:21 am #

Love it! Keep it up, Larry.

8. Alexander Baez Ubeira
    2010/10/06 at 10:34 am #

Larry, you have at least one listener from Chile… me.
    Also, apparently the name Bangkok is of unclear etymology. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok#History

Great Show

9. JessMan
    2010/10/06 at 11:37 am #

i want to start the larry miller drinking society in maryland!

10. Leroy Husband
    2010/10/06 at 12:25 pm #

hey larry, I am starting the Larry Miller Drinking Society, Panama Canal Chapter. Love the show.

11. p33onmeplz
    2010/10/06 at 12:40 pm #

I live in the SFV and crossed Larry’s path at a Big 5 a few months ago, you guys want to hook me up with something too?

12. Dola
    2010/10/06 at 2:02 pm #

Is this gonna encourage me to fall off the wagon? I am experiencing a self imposed OCTSOBER.

I was living for happy hour, and decided I needed to put the brakes on. Day 6 ugh. Larry, I will listen, maybe I can enjoy myself w/o drinking!

13. CACAHD
    2010/10/06 at 3:05 pm #

when Larry comes to the end of the Bud Abbot story about him coming home

I swear that he was going to say his mother said “where’s the beer?”

14. Cory
    2010/10/06 at 6:31 pm #

checking in from portland oregon

15. Ilan34
    2010/10/07 at 2:53 am #

Hey Larry, keep up the great work.

And take that Germany, we got one more than ya!

Sincerely,
    President of the Larry Miller Drinking Society in Israel

• nater
      2010/10/11 at 6:29 am #

But still, three less than MEXICO.

16. nj
    2010/10/07 at 7:38 am #

The Larry Miller Drinking Society in England present

17. Locolombia
    2010/10/07 at 9:02 am #

Yet another great pod cast Larry. Cool story about being Shanghaide and what not. Keep ‘em coming!

18. MB
    2010/10/07 at 9:28 am #

Can we get Larry Miller’s gem on Podcaster? It’s a great convenient way to do a 1-step refresh and download of all the ACE network podcasts, with the exception of Larry’s! We need to fix it so I don’t miss another!

2010/10/07 at 10:26 am #

Not sure if ‘Podcaster’ is an iPhone app, but if it is all you will have to do is add the RSS Feed to it. Sorry not more familiar with it but it’s usually not that hard to add to your list of shows.

• Almeria
        2010/10/08 at 2:54 am #

Developer of Podcater here. You CAN subscribe in Podcater. You can simply enter the URL of the podcast. I have promo codes for anyone that would like to try Podcaster for free. U.S. App store only. Email us promocode at podcaster dot fm. Also, if the podcast is not In the search, send feed URL and we will add to search.

Almerica out

19. Calton
    2010/10/07 at 2:46 pm #

So, how many in Tokyo? Besides me.

20. Rodrigo Barros
    2010/10/07 at 5:49 pm #

Hi, Larry! One of the 10 in Brazil reporting. Since I’m the first, I guess that makes me the president of the Brazilian Chapter of the Drinking Society. Hope the fact that I don’t drink won’t pose a problem…

21. TEdoubleD
    2010/10/07 at 6:24 pm #

Not from Israel, Iceland or Mexico but I’ll bet that I’m the only one on my block to listen to your podcast. Which I thoroughly enjoy by the way. Loved the tale of your attempt to join the mile high club.

22. JBG
    2010/10/08 at 12:44 am #

I agree whole heartedly with a listener drinking club

23. bob
    2010/10/08 at 4:28 am #

Need an RSS Feed.

24. Danijel Šmit
    2010/10/08 at 8:10 am #

Listening in Slovenia!
    I’ll get my friends to listen as well, and we will then tilt a few back until were at ‘level 5′ and somebody will yell, “We’re driving to Montenegro!”

25. Chula
    2010/10/08 at 8:57 am #

We have started the “Lesbians who love Larry Miller Drinking Society”!

You keep us from never switching teams. We love you! :)

26. Mr R
    2010/10/08 at 10:09 am #

Love the show keep up the great work! I love your stories.

27. Eric
    2010/10/09 at 11:25 am #

I will join the Larry Miller drinking society of Maryland, JessMan.

28. Dave
    2010/10/10 at 11:58 am #

Love hearing you riff

29. Matt
    2010/10/10 at 6:11 pm #

hey, I am one of your 5 listener in Hong Kong.
    Love your stories, love your podcast.

30. Okasa
    2010/10/11 at 4:47 am #

The story about Bud Abbott being Shanghaied seems incorrect. No mention of it on Wikipedia, and it says he grew up in New Jersey, not Brooklyn. Is Larry confusing Bud with someone else?

• Gabriel
      2011/05/10 at 10:37 am #

Yea, but Wikipedia is the suckers’ reference. Accuracy is not a priority for Wikipedia.

According to the biography on their lives: THE ABBOTT & COSTELLO STORY Bud Abbot was Shangheid at age 16 after he struck out to make his own way in the world. So Larry really only had the age wrong.

31. Burrins
    2010/10/11 at 7:08 am #

I have heard all of the Larry podcasts and would like to say that I hope Larry will keep producing these things. I love it!

32. LSP
    2010/10/11 at 12:21 pm #

at any rate i can’t take the at any rate any longer :( sorry larry

33. Chris Buzzard
    2010/10/11 at 2:29 pm #

I would love to subscribe, but I need an RSS feed (I don’t use itunes).

34. TomZ
    2010/10/15 at 10:03 am #

Hi Larry – Love the show. “Indian style” has been replaced with “Chris-cross applesauce”. It makes me cringe just writing it.

35. Gabriella Alexander
    2010/10/15 at 12:26 pm #

Love the show Larry! Don’t forget Canada….

36. Ayrunae
    2010/10/16 at 3:20 am #

Larry, I am going to have to stop listening to your podcast on my work commute. I laugh so hard that it makes driving dangerous.
    Listening from Narragansett, Rhode Island.

37. Travis Gold
    2010/10/17 at 7:41 pm #

Are you kidding Larry? Really? That story about Bud Abbott is sheer fantasy. Bud was born in New Jersey in 1897 and was never taken away to work on any ship. Wild story telling bro…hilarious but not true.
    Abbott was born in Asbury Park, New Jersey into a show business family. His parents worked for the Barnum and Bailey Circus: his mother, Rae (née Fisher), was a bareback rider and his father, Harry, was an advance man. Abbott dropped out of school as a child and began working at Coney Island. When Abbott was 16, his father, now an employee of the Columbia Burlesque Wheel, installed him in the box office of the Casino Theater in Brooklyn. Eventually, Abbott began putting together touring burlesque shows. In 1918, he married Betty Smith, a burlesque dancer and comedienne. Shortly after his marriage, Abbott and his new wife began producing a vaudeville “tab show” called Broadway Flashes. This show toured on the Gus Sun Vaudeville Circuit.[1] Around 1924, Abbott started performing as a straight man in an act with Betty. As his stature grew, Abbott began working with veteran comedians like Harry Steppe and Harry Evanson.

38. Travis Gold
    2010/10/17 at 7:48 pm #

I take all back…yes Bud was taken as a teen to Norway…all true. YOU’RE RIGHT Larry. cheers.

tg

39. bob
    2010/10/28 at 3:39 pm #

that won’t work, you’re shouting in the wrong end dummy

40. Paul
    2010/11/05 at 8:52 am #

Bud Abbot was indeed shanghaied to Norway.

Travis, never use Wikipedia as an authoritative source, especially not a sole source for information. While it often does have valuable information, it almost as often doesn’t because just anyone can edit the entries.

Larry, I’m a HUGE fan and I also happen to do a really really good Walter Winchell/WWII news reel announcer voice and I’d love the opportunity to record some stuff for your opening/closing.

I’ll send you an email with a recorded example.

41. laura
    2010/11/15 at 1:46 am #

I’d like to be the charter member of the LMDS in Dubai/Abu Dhabi. Any fellow Yank expats care to make it something regular?

Stage 5: “We’re driving to Qatar!”

42. Lonesome Hobo
    2010/11/19 at 3:42 pm #

Great show Larry! I listened to three of your podcasts while I was bike riding this afternoon. I love your jazz riffing on different thoughts from cheating or not cheating to the Titanic and Bud Abbot being Shanghaied. I don’t care if he was or not, just the idea of an 11 year old kid being sent out for a bucket of beer and being impressed as a cabin boy for two years is great. Keep up the great pod casts!

43. Frozenoak
    2010/11/29 at 9:34 pm #

Are the Cards coming anytime soon? How can I be a card carrying member if I don’t have a card?

44. Frozenoak
    2010/12/10 at 11:56 pm #

Is there going to be an defenate link for the LMDS card or will I have to burrow deep into some super-tech hovel like place… , … or should I just send a self addressed envelope and hope for the best?

2010/12/12 at 4:49 pm #

When they’re ready, we’ll let you know. — Jeff

45. Darnell Niesen
    2011/04/19 at 7:16 am #

Greetings from California! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the information you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, great blog!

46. Dorian Smeby
    2013/07/03 at 4:24 am #

Koniecznie przeczytajcie ten artykuł! Bardzo interesujący.

47. Syreeta Knee
    2013/07/23 at 7:16 am #

Zgadzam się z autorem tego tekstu. Polecam przeczytanie tego artykułu!